DIY Alexander McQueen Houndstooth Bow Shirt


McQueen Bow Shirt DIYRemember back in February when I did a designer DIY on the Diane Von Furstenberg “Trelodie” blouse? Well this is an update from that post, taking the same pattern and totally transforming it into a top with a whole new look! While shopping around for our trip to Manhattan, I was having a hard time finding things I loved in the store so I ended making some pieces instead. For one of the days I wanted something that would transition well from day-to-night and I knew with a few modifications the Burda 7299 pattern would be perfect. This top was perfect for a lot of reasons: it was trendy with the houndstooth print and the studded shoulders, it was chiffon making it comfortable and easy to wear and it was perfect for daytime and out at night. During the day I paired it with black skinny jeans and a black cashmere wrap, and for nighttime I kept the skinny jeans and paired it with a fitted black blazer and my Burberry Gem Embellished Trench DIY. What made this even better was that with a few modifications to the original pattern and some shortcuts, this top was even easier to make and took a lot less time!

As previously mentioned, I used the Burda 7299 pattern in view B. The first time I made this pattern I realized the sizing was off by quite a bit, I had to make mine 2 sizes smaller than my measurements indicated and I still had to take the sides in 1″… long story short, make a muslin version first to make sure your fit will be correct before using your good fabric. I followed the steps as printed with the pattern except for the following modifications:

I decided to make the top sleeveless so that it would layer well with lots of different options: blazers, wraps, coats, sweaters, etc. I simply did a double fold hem to finish the armholes before sewing together the side seam for the front and back bodice. I used large silver square studs and added them to the yolks on both shoulders:

This added a very on-trend embellishment in a spot that gives you the option to cover them if you want something a little more traditional. The original pattern called for a thread loop and button to close the front slit at the neck. This is an extremely time consuming process and since I had a million other things to get done before we left, I simply put in a hook and eye closure:

I added a slight curve for the side seams so that it would add a little more emphasis to the waist instead of being so straight up-and-down:

By removing the sleeves and the thread loop and button closure, this top came together in no time! I love taking a tried-and-true pattern and tweaking a few things to make it completely your own!